BLOG POST #9 PLN AND COMMUNICATIONS – WHAT DO PEOPLE SEE?

Networked digital media enable new convergences of textual forms.

Modes of communication that were previously separate – text, image,

audio, video, animation – come together within a single platform,

bringing new challenges and possibilities for the telling of the news.

— Chapter 4 “Social Media: Communication, Sharing and Visibility”

In the modern society, networks do exist some disputes, which it has both benefits and disadvantages for each individual when they use networks or social media .

How much of personal identity should be connected to professional social media platforms?

Nowadays, some appilactions are real-named, so as to ensure that everyone’s money or other aspects will not be deceived, which will create a relatively safe Internet environment for everyone. On the other hand, the real-name system sometimes will cause “cyber-bullying”. Due to  more and more developed technology, personal information is leaked by illegal methods. In addition, human flesh searching is become very simple, which is used by some lawbreakers, so it can be said to be more open and transparent to everyone. Sometimes a real name reveals many things, for example, you can now find the address or family relationship by a single name. Thus, everyone should use social media rationally, and show personal identity properly on the Internet. At the same time, everyone should also state their opinion appropriate. Be less offensive, and people are encouraged to use networks rationally.

Community communications go beyond blogs and social media shares, how does a PLN help and hinder the development of thoughts and ideas in public discourse — especially when addressing our differences?

Social media does lead people’s thinking and behaviour to a certain extent, because people would listen and see some words to change or prove their ideas heteronomously. In addition, PLN can develop thoughts leaders. When people express their opinions via social media platforms, they will receive comments with agreement or criticism. In the modern era of high-speed growth of data, the statements can be searched in the database by entering keywords on the search box. Many of the people who have adopted it have become thought leaders in the field of education, because it seems that it promotes a lot of thinking and cooperation (Whitby, 2013). However, every advantage has its disadvantage. Large scale use of social media platform will hinder the development of ideas and concepts in public discourse. Taking the essence and discard the dross, people should remember that lifelong learning requires hard work, and they should accept as much from themselves. Fortunately, with an open learning attitude, anyone can expand knowledge and broaden horizon.

How can a PLN be curated to minimize bias and expand knowledge of the lives of others?

As I mentioned above, the era we lived is overloaded information and data. People can follow the topic what they like or want to pay attention to by using tags, so that it can decrease the content what they lose interest in. In a blog named Building Your PLN, it states that “A person with good curation skills saves us time by sifting through the vast abundance of content on the internet to select the best, most relevant resources on a specific topic or theme. The curator organizes, manages, and collates for their own use and shares with us” (2020). On the other hand, if people meet some opinions with disagreements, they need to analyze and reflect rationally, a wave of following the trends is not advocated.

How does the identity of who you are, fit into your PLN?

As for everyone, social media is a platform to express and share their opinions. People treat social media platforms differently: some of them treat as leisure actives, however, the others work on social media. The latter devotes most time and effort in social media.

As for myself, I use social media for sharing my daily life on Instagram, WeChat and Weibo. I believe that social media is a way to improve people’s taste and quality of life.

Do you include professional and personal boundaries?

When people want to know you, the best place is your social media website where it may contain your name, birthday, education, hobbies and so on. However, from the professional point of view, the more important points which the audience want to know is your occupational abilities. For example, it is important for healthcare providers to maintain professional boundaries. Patients should first see them as a professional. Blurring these boundaries by connecting with patients on social media can lead to misunderstanding, embarrassment and inconvenience to them and the patient (Risk Management, 2019).

Reference:

Building Your PLN Step 6: Using Curation Tools As A Connected Educator [Web log post]. (2020). Retrieved November 15, 2020, from https://teacherchallenge.edublogs.org/pln-curation/

Meikle, G. (2016) Social Media: Communication, Sharing and Visibility Meikle, G – Chapter 4 https://www.taylorfrancis.com/books/9781315884172/chapters/10.4324/9781315884172-10

Mooney, H. (2020). [Video]. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/elKNQpz0RrI

Risk Management (2020, August 28). Maintaining Professional Boundaries on Social Media. Retrieved November 15, 2020, from https://www.ncmic.com/insurance/malpractice/risk-management/maintaining-professional-boundaries-on-social-media/

Whitby, T. (2013). How Do I Get a PLN? [Web log post]. Retrieved November 15, 2020, from https://www.edutopia.org/blog/how-do-i-get-a-pln-tom-whitby

1. oatmilklatte17

Hi there! Nice to see a new blog post from you! I enjoyed reading your work. Your design of the blog page was eye catching with the use of the quote from the Journalism company. Lastly, your comments on using different types of social media platforms in different ways was something that I could relate too. I use my personal instagram for interacting with friends and peers whereas, Facebook is solely family.

• zhouyuechen

Hey! I am totally agree with you that instagram is more even-aged, and facebook is more familial. I enjoy to post selfie and share my daily on instagram, and I think instagram is more popular among peers. Thank you for sharing your idea.

2. Reet

Hi Yuechen! The quotes you have in the grey box are a superb addition to the blog post and make your page look really nice! For the main post, I would recommend that you include in-text citations of the references that you use. Additionally make sure to answer all the questions posted by our instructor on the EDCI page! Including a few examples in those answers will also make your blog posts a lot stronger 🙂

• zhouyuechen

Hi Reet. Thank you so much for comment!! I will pay more attention on those points what you mention, thank you for sharing your opinion!

3. jasmineallard

Hi Yuechen,
    I’m happy to see some of your work! Your introduction “grey box” thing is really great, I think additions as such make it easier to grasp a readers attention. I very much agree with you that we must work to use social media more rationally, hopefully this is something they will begin really introducing in school’s now that we are truly seeing some of the effects “cyber-bullying” is having on kids, especially teenagers. Good work!

Jasmine

• zhouyuechen

Hi Jasmine,
      Thank you for comment and sharing your thought!